Wednesday, May 22, 2013

First Blurry Day (Caution, everyone looks a bit miserable in this post)

Changing your day to night can be tricky. Especially if you are 3 years old and can't tell time. We have been here 3 days now and I am hoping tonight is the night that we actually make it through the night. 

I forgot to mention that when we got home from the airport, everyone picked up their bags to take them up to their room and the one bag left that was suppose to be mine- wasn't mine. We had brought someone else's bag home from the airport. We quickly called the number on the bag and it ended up being the Israeli family's bag that sat next to us on the airplane that Jake had been chatting with (see blurry photo below). So I was without any of my clothes and in my sticky clothes from the 28 hours of travel. We finally tracked down my suitcase- it was in Amsterdam still, and it was delivered to us the second day we were here. I sure was grateful for that. 


But on our first blurry day, we slept for a bit, and showered and then decided to go on a walk-about. We knew there was a little market close and we set out to find it. We went the wrong direction and then asked someone who pointed back up the little hill. We had bribed the crying children with popsicles to the market. Here they are enjoying their popsicles- half awake. The heat here is so intense (and its not even that hot right now)  that if you don't eat your popsicle in 30 seconds then it melts into your hand. Jake was quite frustrated. 


I am amazed to be here in the desert and find such beautiful flowers. Jake was fine to stand in front of the flowers, but couldn't quite find a smile. Sleep is needed for smiles. 

Now the picture below cracks me up more than anything. Seth and I were crying laughing so hard looking at it. We are a complete mess here- Seth's eyes closed, mine swollen shut, Sam the zombie, Ellie trying, Jayne "huh", and Jake the pirate face. I just had to share it with you so you could have a good laugh as well. It is so funny. The best part is that I posted it on Facebook and people were so nice about it. I guess they love us "no matter what" or what we look like- like we are all hung over. :) We are standing in front of the gate that walks up to our house we are staying at. 

After that darling picture was taken, we all fell asleep. Seth on our bed, Jannie on hers, Sam on the couch and Ellie upstairs. I fell asleep by myself on Sam's bed with Jayne and Jake playing around me, but one at a time they both fell asleep by me. I woke up in a twisted mess of little arms and legs, but I was so dead asleep I didn't even notice. 

Friends of the owners of the house stopped by to check that we had arrived and that everything was going well. The internet wasn't working so Paul had come to help with that.  Tali, the lady who came by, said she would take me quickly to a little grocery store to get things we needed for morning. It was quite the experience and I am so glad she was with me. Israeli's for the most part speak English, not fluently, but they can usually understand a bit and communicate okay. But reading labels and shekel conversion was a bit tricky for me. Talia was funny, because she would pick up something and say,"Children love this." and then she would put it my basket. I thought I had bought some cookies for the kids and when the kids started eating them their faces turned a bit sour. They weren't sweet at all, but salty and a bit stale tasting. And we bought our milk in little bags of milk. It tasted a bit different and I thought for sure Jayne would reject it, but actually she liked it a lot. Phew. 

When you are so tired you don't really feel like eating. But in the evening we decided to take the kids to have their first falafel. Tali had showed me where the "best falafel" place is in the neighborhood. We showered up and they didn't speak English, but understood enough to get us our dinner. The falafel's were awesome, but Ellie, Jayne, and Jayne only really stuck to the fries. We laughed so hard when we sent Sam to ask for a napkin and they handed him a straw. Obviously they didn't understand what he was asking but it made for a very good laugh. We had to take a picture of Sam holding his "napkin." 
Its going to be a great adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment